Victoria General Hospital School of Nursing Alumni
The VGH School of Nursing Alumni officially has functioned continuously since 1920, started by Bertha Pickles, Superintendent of Nurses. The first president was Mildred (Holloway) Hall, class of 1909. One could say that the alumni is 124 years old as the first class graduated in 1892; a remarkable feat and accomplished through the efforts of dedicated volunteers. For more information, please click here
Meetings and Membership
Regular meetings are held April and May, and October through December, from 7 - 9pm, in the Ballroom of the Bethune building. The AGM is held in June as a dinner meeting in the Dickson building. Membership dues ($20 annually) are due January 1st each year. Download the membership application here
Please read the following NOTICE TO VGH SCHOOL OF NURSING GRADUATES.
Objectives and Milestones of the Alumni
Please click here to read the story of the stained glass window in the Centennial Building.
- Installing a stained glass window in the Centennial Building (2004).
- Planting a tree with a plaque in front of the Centennial Building.
- Laying a brick in Victoria Park, Halifax, inscribed "from the VG School of Nursing".
- Donating articles to Pallative Care, VG site.
- Laying a wreath annually at the Halifax Cenotaph (Nov 11, since 2003).
- Donating food and clothing annually to local charities.
- Donating money annually to the VG Hospital Site Foundation for patient comfort.
- Presenting annual bursaries and awards to University nursing students.
- Sponsoring a biannual "Victorian Tea" or other event for alumni members.
- Providing a quarterly Newsletter to alumni members.
(minimum 2 year term) consists of a President, President Elect, Secretary, Treasurer and past President/Nominating Chair.
consists of the Executive and Chair of the Standing Committees: Archives; Publicity, Bursary and Awards; Newsletter, Sick and Visiting; Program, Telephone.
are reviewed every 5 to 10 years and filed in the VG Archives; they can be viewed on request.